So to help me keep track of all the events that I hear of and aspire to do, I’ve decided to create a bucket list.
The list is just a start, really. The events that niggle away at me, knowing that it’s a matter of when, not if, I will do them.
The road cycling bucket list has been festering ever since we came back from RAAM in 2011 and recently had the addition of Race Around Austria which I’ve earmarked for next year (Challenge distance).
Mountain Bike stage racing is a where my experience lies so naturally, there are a few on the list that follow on from Cape Epic and Transalps perfectly. Plus there are a few single day long distance MTB races which are too tempting to ignore!
I’ve run marathon distances for years but since switching to trail running and ticking the Ultra box, I’m hooked and want to run Ultra trail distances all over the world. NOW!
What Makes The List
I could easily just plug in a running website calendar widget but instead I’ve decided to have some criteria in order to narrow it down.
Practicality of each event in terms of location, needs to be considered. The ones that make the list are either in places that are special to me, I have a burning desire to visit or places where I am lucky enough to have access to friends, family and accommodation nearby. Coupling an event with a vacation makes a lot of sense and kills two birds with one stone.
Obviously, I’d love to travel the globe ticking off my list but, for now, I need to focus on the ones are that logistically realistic.
- Matterhorn UltraKS – Mid August – 5,000m vertical over 48km – Zermatt
- Swissalpine Davos – End of July – 76km with 2,500m gain –
- SDW100 Centurian – Winchester – Eastbourne – 100 miles
- The Rat – 100km – August – Cornwall
- Hardrock 100 – Colorado – 100 miles – July
- Bieler Loftage Swiss 100km
- UTMB – Mont Blanc – various distances – OCC, CCC – August
- Tahoe 200 – California – 205 Miles – September
- Ring of Kerry Ultra – 120 miles – September – Ireland
- Fire & Ice 250 km stage race – Iceland – September
- Ultra Tour Monte Rosa – Italy-CH – 116km – September
- Eiger Ultra Trail – July – 101km, 6700m – CH
- Lucerne Marathon – CH – October
- Race Around Austria – Challenge – 670km
- Race Around Austria – Full – 2000km
- Race Across the West (RAW) – 860 miles – mid June
- Race Across America Solo – 3000 miles – Mid June
- Mont Ventoux – All 3 sides in one day
- Vatternrundan 300km single stage – June, Sweden
- Race Across Italy
- Transpyr (Spain) – 8 Days – Spain
- Engadin Bike Giro – 3 days – Early July – CH
- Salzkammergut Trophy – 220km – one day – July – Austria
- Perskindol Swiss Epic – 5 Days – September – CH
- Glacier 360 – Iceland – 3 days – August
- 3XC Scandinavia – 3 days – Sweden
- Mont Blanc Race – 140km – Early July
- BC Bike Race – 7 Days – Canada
- Stoneman – 115km – May
- Single Track 6 – Jul/Aug
- Breck Epic – Aug
I know there is SO much more out there so if you’ve got a race that you’ve done and think I’ll love to then I’m all ears. Please add your suggestion into the comments box below.
Similarly, if you’ve got an event bucket list, send it over. I’d love to be inspired.
As a recent tragedy emphasised, we’re only passing through this life. So go on, build your bucket list and create some memories of a lifetime whilst pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and beyond.
In Diem Vivere